Wednesday, December 14, 2005

An Admission on My Part

I have not always been as Black* as I have been. I remember my sister used to tell me that I was "so Euro it wasn't funny." Indeed, I was all about European History and things concerning Europe. I can still perhaps recite all of the Kings and queens of England who actually reigned from memory, with a few pauses for thought...and I must say that I take a great distinction(one which I share a bit with my mother) in being sort of an amateur royalist....I could literally name for you all of the royal houses that ever were in all of Europe--from all of the tiny little kingdoms and duchies of Italy to the House of Vasa in Sweden and Denmark, all the way over to Russia, not to mention England, France, and the rest of Western Europe. I was all up into it--and still do enjoy it somewhat. But then, I dont remember which came first-my finding Souls of Black Folk in my Uncle Lawrence's library or my Uncle Donald giving me his copy of Langston Hughes'I Wonder as I Wander, but around that time I began to develop a consciousness--and become interested and appreciative of learning things about myself--and where I came from(I'll add more to that in a few minutes).... I remember reading the Ebony History of Africa...by Johnson...I can't remember the correct name of the book or the author, I believe he is the son-in-law of the main Johnson. Anyway, it was quite influential. Then I read a lot of other Black,Diasporic, and African histories...and I began to read about many other peoples of color...and from there I developed my consciousness into what it is today. WIth that said, in reference to knowing who I am and learning things about myself--I already knew things about myself...and appreciated it--for, even before I was Black... I was a Deramus and a Goodson.;-)

No comments: