Tuesday, March 21, 2006

In Profile: Aunt Johnnie

My Aunt, Johnnie Lou Deramus Freeman, was my first school teacher and the fourth oldest child of John Archie and Sadie Mae Goodson Deramus, two years younger than my grandmother. My great-grandmother somehow worked it out that all of her children were two years apart. Aunt Johnnie was one of the lightest of the siblings. She and Aunt Sadie were the lightest children. All of the DeRamus sisters had long hair that went down their backs. When my aunt died, she had hair down past her hips and looked like a white woman. She resembled Lena Horne quite a bit.Aunt Johnnie had a trademark mouth and could teach you curse words you didn't even know. She had a temper and there was no doubt that Goodson blood ran through her veins. As a matter of fact, she looked very much like Mattie Roper.

Aunt Johnnie got her bachelor's degree at Alabama State and recieved two masters degrees--one in Library Science, the other in Elementary Education. She and Aunt Betty went to school together and finished both of their master's degrees together. They were each other's help. Aunt Johnnie started out teaching in Alabama, but when I came to know her, she was teaching at Price Elementary School on the Southside of Chicago. She drove a peppermint green cadillac and she and Freda and Aunt Bertie lived in the house right across the street from ours. I started my formal education under her tutelage and she was also my godmother. I remember mornings when I would get over to her house and we would get ready to go--sometimes we would drop off Aunt Bertie, Nikki,and Mama at the places where they had to go--school and work--and we would make our way on to Price. I remember a few times the car broke down and we would catch the bus and make our way on. I felt very special, although I was still jealous of Nikki because Aunt Bertie was her godmother and I wanted her to be mine. She could have Aunt Johnnie.

I remember Aunt Johnnie used to let me do everything. On days when she would be showing a film, she would let me help her set up the film projector and pop the popcorn, sometimes I would get to do other things. Aunt Johnnie was a creative and beautiful soul and was very good with children. She always had some kind of special activities or something fun for us--on Halloween she would make her witches' brew and bring it to class, she would be dressed like a witch, and we would have so much fun. One thing I will always have in my mind where Aunt Johnnie is concerned is her collection of Ella Jenkins records, which I would listen to at home and in class and they were so much fun--everybody in the family enjoyed them. "Jambo, Jambo, Jambo sana jambo." It was a beautiful time.

One thing I remember about Aunt Johnnie and Aunt Bertie's house is the basement. The basement was where Aunt Johnnie kept all of her school things--the film projector, the popcorn popper, her record player. I was afraid of that basement somewhat, but I loved looking to see what was among all of that stuff and I was elated when we got to drag it out and carry it to school. The basement was also where Nikki, Freda, and Kim, used to play and dance and stuff.

Aunt Johnnie was an industrious and creative woman. She was a very good clothing designer, she should have been a professional. She made hats and dresses and suits for her sisters and nieces and Freda and she had a gift for making dolls as well. I remember three of them very well. Patches was Brook's doll, and she had another one too. Nikki also had a doll that I remember. I remember very well when Nikki and Brook decided to give their dolls blood transplants. I thought that was interesting.

Aunt Johnnie was a very stylish woman and she loved to get dressed up. Every year she dressed up in her fur and fine drag to go to the Classics. It was something to see. Reunions and other occasions were also ocassions to get dressed. I think all of the Deramus women can dress.

Aunt Johnnie retired from teaching in the late eighties and moved back to Alabama. She suffered from Alzheimers for a very long time. She had her faults and her problems as well, but she was a great lady.

My political awareness began with Aunt Johnnie. She was very active in the Chicago Teacher's Union and one of my earliest memories is of standing with her on the pickett line during a strike. That experience instilled something in me as well. She was definitely an influence on me. I am greatful for all of my aunts and uncles and other hosts of relatives.

No comments: