Sunday, February 12, 2006

I've been watching Funny Lady a lot, which I just bought recently. I love the numbers "Great Day," and "Let's Hear it For Me." Alas, I also came to the realization that I have for a long time been romanticizing and glorifying the story of Fanny Brice and Nick Arnstein, looking at it through the lense of a fairy tale. How awful really that she spent so much time running after him--and belittling herself before him in the process. Alas, I have for a long time been aware of the irony of "My Man," and of how Barbra probably was laughing and cringing her way through the notes of the song after a while....like Nina Simone's very telling "Hmmmm," in the middle of "Wild is the Wind." That let you know that that song was bullshit and no man was ever gonna be her life. Thank you lord. God Bless Nina and Barbra!

No comments: