Friday, February 10, 2006

Laughing At Myself

I was just thinking how absolutely crazy I must have seemed when I was in college. The main building on our campus was the chapel, which is a beautiful pseudo-victorian chapel, three storied, done in burnt orange and white. This is where most of my classes were and it was also the main building for administration, etc--the heart of the campus. Well, in the mornings I would wake up --I've always been one to wake up very early and I would go sit in the huge bay stained glass window in the chapel with my book and read til time to go to class. I would sit there contently reading to myself, and in the process watch the janitors come in in the morning to clean. It must have been 5:30,6 O'clock when I would first get there, because it was a good thirty minutes before I saw anybody else. They would all greet me and speak to me in the mornings. I thought nothing of it. But I know they all must have thought I was one odd child. Adding to that, I remember at one point, perhaps in my junior year, when I suggested to my friend Clay, who was in the choir, that perhaps a great way to wake everyone up would be to have the choir stand on the steps of the chapel every morning and sing. No comment.

No comments: