Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Letter Written to Howard Zinn

Dear Dr. Zinn,

I have long been an admirer of yours. You have profoundly influenced me in so
many ways, even before I read A People's History in High School, as I am a
profound follower of Alice Walker. One thing that I would like to question you
about is the philosophy of nonviolence. I myself, at this time, am not
committed to nonviolence. I believe in nonagression and I don't believe in war,
but if someone has their foot on my throat I am going to try and cut that foot
off and yes, kill them if I have to. The question, I suppose, is how can one
reconcile the idea of nonviolence with June Jordan's wonderful pronouncement
in "Poem About My Rights" that " I don't know who in the hell set things up
like this, but I can tell you that from now on in my simple and daily and
nightly resistance, in my very self-deteermination, it may very well cost you
your life." How do you reconcile these two things? Is there a contradiction? or
does nonviolence allow for this? I would hope, and like to think so. I am not
sure. I am waiting to be convinced otherwise.

No comments: