Tuesday, March 20, 2007

My mother described to me a couple of nights ago my great-great grandparent's home, Mattie and Morgan's. She said when you pulled up intothe yard there was a huge arbor full of scuffonongs and you walked underneath it up some very high steps to the porch of the house. She said when you walked in there was an expansive living room and off from it were the bedrooms and the kitchen, dining room, etc. She said the rooms in the house were large rooms with high ceilings and it had magnificent wood floors(many of my uncles, Mattie Roper's sons, were carpenters--and reputable carpenters in their era and place). She said that when Mattie Roper lived in it the kitchen was off separate from the house and you had to walk down a little runway to get to it. It was later added to the house. I would have loved to have seen that house.

No comments: