Monday, September 17, 2007

My great-grandmother's brother Jule was a school teacher and a preacher for a long time. When he got old, he could die whenever he wanted to. He would get into fits and go lie down in his bed and go into a comatose state in which people thought he was dead. They would then call for the undertaker to come and get his body. On one of these occassions they called for my great-grantmother,Sadie, or Big Mama as they called her. She, my mother, who was a little girl, and my aunt earnestine got in the car and made their way to his home. They had to park at the foot of the hill and climb up because he never thought to build a road. So, that particular time, Big Mama packed a sack full of teacakes and they made their way on to Uncle Jule's house, my mother in tow. My mother said they got to his house and the undertaker was already there. My great-grandmother stood over his bed and said, "Jule, you gone Brother Jule? I got some teacakes here if you want some." My mother said he sat right up and ate every one of those teacakes. The undertaker got mad and told them not to ever call him unless he was really dead. He died quite a few times after that,.

No comments: