Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Transitions

So, I moved out of my beautiful apartment the other day. It was a bittersweet moment. Very different from other moves I have made. This apartment that I had was absolutely beautiful--and I was quite comfortable in it. As I was packing, I started to think about the idea of moving, which made my mind wander to bell hooks and her narration of her mother throwing her things into suitcases, having been thrown out by her father. Then, I thought about Beneatha Younger. And I thought about that final scene in the play/film where Beneatha is standing there, Black matriarch, saying a little prayer over the space she is leaving behind. In hopes of the new one to come. I said a little prayer over my apartment. I also thought about Ruth Younger(I think it was Ruth, my memory is rusty) and the hope that lay ahead for her and her declaration that she would "scrub every kitchen in America" in order to make her transition into her new house. Perseverance and dedication. Amen.

No comments: