Monday, November 12, 2007

When I was in the 11th grade I participated in this government competition with my AP government class that took place at the Statehouse. We divided up into teams of three and we were each supposed to argue specific cases in front of different panels, small three person panels, sort of like testifying before congress. I believe Harold Ford was one of the three judges on my panel. Well, I remember my question asked something to the effect of how did the 13, 14, and 15th amendments, lead up to the Voting Rights Act of 1965,how they better conditions for Blacks, and what might have been the instigators for the coming about of this legislation. Well, I laid out my case, talking about the NAACP and I don't remember what else, and I also made the arguement that U.S. society had become more liberal over the years from the passage of the 13th,14th, and 15th amendments to the Voiting Rights Act. Then, one of them asked me to give an example of how society had become more liberal. I couldn't think of anything. So, I started talking about contraceptives and how they had become available, totally unrelated to my topic. What an experience. I enjoyed it though.

No comments: