Friday, June 03, 2005

I remember seeing a lot of hospitals when I was young. A lot of death scenes. Not a lot, but it was a few. They were always grim, important, and very grave. Aunt Sadie's when I was three( she died of cancer, this one I dont remember much at all, but I was there), Aunt Bertie's there in Chicago, she died at Michael Reese, and Uncle Archie, who was at the Mayo Clinic. A lot of waiting rooms. I would sit in the waiting room.., and then finally would be lead back into the room where they lay and I could feel their hand or talk to them). It was grim, and I didnt always get to go. I remmember Uncle Archie's soo very vividly. My mother took his death hard. He was my grandmother's youngest sibling and the closest to my mother in age. In a way, they grew up together. She was his sidekick and he taught her what she knew. My mother cried for years after his death. The mention of his name would set her off in torrents. It always seemed like those of my relatives knew that their time was near. My uncle Archie sobbed with my mother for days. My Aunt Bertie knew, My Uncle Lawrence knew. I hope he is at peace. My grandmother was at his side when he died. Ah me.

No comments: