Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Once when my grandmother was teaching in Monroe County, she and some other teachers had taken their classes outside. My grandmother told the children not to play around the trees because they were full or worms. She also added that she was afraid of worms. One of the teachers decided she was going to play with my grandmother so she got a branch from the tree that was full of worms and started shaking it in her face. My grandmother told her to stop but she kept taunting her with that branch and the worms. My grandmother, telling her own story, says at one point she picked up a branch from the ground and struck the woman across the face, pulling the earring out of her right ear. The woman, who was now upset said, "Thelma, you know I was just playing, now I am really going to put them on you." My grandmother replied," Woman, if you put that on me I will kill you today." That woman let that stick go and she didnt bother my grandmother ever again. Alas, the ironic thing is that she and my grandmother were also roomates. I think this incident speaks for itself. I often laugh over this story and it is one of those stories that gets told every now and then.

No comments: