Sunday, August 28, 2005

What Happened at the Jazz and Blues Fest Tonight Here in Lafayette

Tonight, the Jazz and Blues festival here in Lafayette was quite nice, a beautiful evening. However, there was one incident which quite stands out and says soo much about Lafayette and god forbid why is the world like it is? Well, anyway, what happened was, a new act had started and so a friend and I walked over to the venue where they were playing ( a really great band called Mississippi Heat---they are excellent!). Well, there were no seats left, so we stood there at the front-- where there were other people standing. Well, some old white lady decides to get up out of her chair and grab my friend I and shove us out of the way. Hmm. I mean not ask if we could move, but pull us out of the way. Honey lord have mercy. My great great granddaddys name was Morgan Goodson and my great granddaddys name was John Archie DeRamus, I am not about to play. Well, at first, when she shoved me, I went and stood against the wall, you know being passive and standing there, but then I decided I was going to go back and stand again. So I did, and she decided she wanted to push me again. Well, I just kept standing there and gave her the eye that said, "white woman, who in the hell do you think you are? Get your hands off of me." Well, the lady who sang with the band, Ida something-- she was GREAT!- well, she noticed what was going on and she told that lady from the stage---in the middle of singing-- "get your hands off that man." Well I was pleased as punch and very greatful and I enjoyed myself the rest of the night dancing quite wildly with the rest of the crowd that joined there in the front. It was lovely, but alas, why are there such people in this world. I know, but still. Lovely night though!

No comments: