Saturday, October 08, 2005

I moved to alabama when I was in the third grade. Immediately there were problems as they wanted to put me back a year as I was a younger than I was supposed to be in the third grade and they felt I should be kept with children my own age. My mother told them that no, becase I was keeping up with my work that I should stay where I was. This resulted in me withdrawing from Prattville and spending half a year at Autaugaville. Autaugaville is the school where my uncle Fess ( Sterling James) McDavid, Aunt Bertie's husband had been principal. The difference between the school then and when I attended was that, when I was there, the school was only 98% black as opposed to fully segregated;-) and secondly, the school was seriously underfunded and deprived of the resources it needed to thrive in favor of the white schoolss, mainly Prattville. When I got to Autaugaville, it was another battle, and one which I suppose has seriously left scars on me. Well, the principal there had a serious vendetta against my Uncle and my family (even though he was married to my Grandmother's cousin). Apparently, Fess had his select students (of this I know, please, my grandmother was one) and of these, he also had "his boys" and apparently Charles Cooper, the principal, was not one of them and this caused him to not like Fess. Well,anyway, Cooper used to whip me almost everyday for something, and then proceeded several conferences in which my mother, and my Aunt Betty went up to Autaugaville and blessed him out. He also proceeded to tell my mother that I was going to grow up and be a sissy. I didn't know what that meant at the time, but apparently it was something he especially didn't like. Well, I didnt understand much of it at all-and generally just cried and got it over with and went on about my business ( although I did understand that he didn't like my Uncle and that was part of his problem)well, as I grew and put in in perspective thats when I decided that I was not going to take any shit. I will be respected or I will try my best to castrate you. So, I spent that half a year at Autaugaville and then I went back to Prattville, where I began to encounter white folk on a real level and I believe it was then that I began to stop being the always-smiling, pleasant Brandon and began to identify the real bitch in me. However, that really didn't come about until I reached High School-- then I became the major bitch that I can be today.

No comments: