Thursday, October 27, 2005

This week, in regards to my classes, I opened a great big can of worms and almost got lynched. Those were the highlights of my week. Firstly, I almost got lynched as after we finished Watching Bowling for Columbine I introduced the concept of American Exceptionalism into our conversation about the film--and dared to questionthe superiority of the United States. There was some hot blood running through that room. Alas, after the discussion of Bowling for Columbine-- I brought in another lesson I had prepared--on the racial codes that were prevalent in the United States--the 1/4th , one drop, and one eitgth rules. I talked about Plessy Vs. ferfuson, the other supreme court case Jane Doe Vs. Louisiana and talked about the rhetoric of race--the purpose for these laws, how they affected people's lives, and how they played out in terms of defining personal and community identity. We talked about Carol Channing, Walter White ( and looked at pictures), and Rita Hayworth, just for kicks. I think they were beautiful discussions. Others might want to burn me at stake for being a Communist.

No comments: