Saturday, December 10, 2005

Something Really Stupid

One day, in teaching RS's class, we were discussing poverty in the United States and the effects of Urban Renewal and the creation of underclasses in the United States....and I compared the situation of plunging people into pockets of incredible poverty in this country(ghettoes) to the conditions which brought on the French Revolution. Somebody in the class picked their head up and said with great alarm in her voice, "Isnt that France? I mean, how can you even compare?" I got sort of a kind of look on my face which is probably on it now as I write this, and then I tried to perhaps walk around that. Lord Jesus have mercy upon us. Folks are dumb as shit these days.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Surely as the teacher you should have engaged with this stupidity instead of "walking around" it.

Perhaps the reason this ignoramous is as "dumb as shit" (a curious oxymoron in itself) is because her teachers have always "walked around" her stupidity instead of correcting it.

Brandon said...

I actually did try to explain to her that plunging people into poverty would perhaps spark revolution anywhere....not just in France.