Saturday, March 04, 2006

I saw Capote today. I am definitely going to have to write something about it. My first impressions of it are that, firstly, it is a beautifully made film Alas, it borders on boring, but there is something there that makes it rather intriguing and keeps you wanting to follow along in the film. There is also a lot of play going on in the film--playing with ideas and concepts of race with the two men on Death Row who are virtually white(as most white people are), but who have native blood and exist on the periphery of whiteness, in the place where most poor whites are located (and I would love to see how many poor whites and especially those who have been labeled "poor white trash" have a certain admixture of native, black, or otherwise colored blood. The construction of whiteness is defintely something that I am interesed in exploring--indeed something that needs to be explored, especially as to who got to fit into the categories and who didn't, how and to what extent. Also, I have to laud Hoffman for his portrayal of Capote--beautifully done! I think that the roles of both Capote and Harper Lee(Nell) should take home Oscars. Its quite interesting to think about how sexuality and regionality plays into concepts of whiteness as well. It is a great film. I would definitely see it again.

No comments: