Wednesday, January 03, 2007

I want to write a post, and I am not sure if I will complete it now, about my uncle Fess Goodson. Something that was just recently told to me which came as a revelation was the nature of his relationship with Aunt Pauline. Pauline, my grandmother's first cousin, was the daughter of Ethel Goodson, Macaulay's sister(Fess Goodson= Macaulay Ware Goodson). I often wondered why it was that he sent her to school and left her most of his estate--in terms of singling her out as opposed to his other host of nieces and nephews. The reason, which came as a revelation lies in this explanation. Fess never married and stayed in the home of his parents for most of his life. Ethel, divorced her husband soon after Aunt Pauline was born and moved back into Morgan and Mattie Goodson's home. Aunt Pauline grew up in the household with Aunt Ethel and Fess. He made it his reponsibility to send her to school(he paid for both her undergraduate and for her master's degree) and then left provisions for her in his will. I also reckon that the fact that he was present is also the reason why he ran the Goodson estate as opposed to any of the other brothers and sisters. After his death, Uncle Lawrence took over the estate.

No comments: