Saturday, May 14, 2005

I wrote this as a response, I liked it so I am blogging it.

I can very much relate to this...and so can probably most all other people of color/minorities. We do walk on eggshells (some of us do, some of us have learned better) when in the presence of white people-- watch what we say, how we act, adhere to the "codes of conduct" that are graciously offered by civilization. I think though, we really do need to overcome this--and all of our fears and insecurities and speak with open mouths and flailing tongues. Jimmy Baldwin in the lecture that he gave at UC Berkeley said at one point " I have drunk my fair share of dry martinis...and now I have decided that I might as well act like a Nigger." Power and Politics are a very very intense game, some of us learn this game from the get go-- some of us catch on later. Alas, we all have to negotiate where and at what point we are willing to "let things exist as they are."

No comments: