Friday, May 13, 2005

Tonight Sheila and Frank met my parents. When the conversation got to why my grandmother and my aunts and uncles moved to Chicago-- my mother got scared. She is afraid and does not want anything to do with the political, for sure. My grandmother, I dont know, who possesses something--though certainly still a disdain for the political-- will tell the story-- to anyone. Alas, My uncle, Sterling(Fess) McDavid, was a very powerful man there in Autauga County-- principal of the Black School, and under his administration, Autaugaville was THE best school in Autauga county-- much better than the white ones. The white people resented him for it, and it especially did not help the case that he took his own initiative, did things the way he wanted to and in many instances simply pissed white people off. That said, they couldn't touch the man and he was very much revered and to this day you can go to Autauga County and people speak his name with much reverance.

Autaugaville, under his administration, had typewriters and other conveniences that were current during that time-- when the white schools couldnt even think of them. Also, he had people coming in from Tuskegee to teach not only those who were his pupils, but also the people of the community-- new and better ways of farming, domestic issues, medicine,etc etc. His was a community enriching program and what he did for Autaugaville High School benefited the entire community. I think it is most impressive and it is highly likely that it is not replicated in too many other places that out of his rural,Southern school came not only numerous college graduates-- but people with Master's Degrees and Doctorates and who went on to become doctors and teachers and lawyers. This was during my grandmother's time and the time of my Uncle Lawrence and Aunt Betty.

Fess' first wife was Mary Foster McDavid, whom I talked about earlier and who was the president of the National PTA for a while. They also had a school in Montgomery named after her. Alas, he married my Aunt Bertie at some point (as my aunt told it, Mrs. McDavid the first handpicked her as Mrs. McDavid the second. My Aunt Bertie went to school under Fess McDavid as well. And alas, there were, as I said two "Fess's-" Fess McDavid and Fess Goodson (Macaulay Ware)-- who was my great-grandmother's brother.

Alas, when Fess died in 1963 (I am not certain if that is right, but it was before 65 I know), the white superintendent of schools decided to have his revenge. Fess had been principal of Autaugaville High School for god- fifty years when he died. Fess Goodson had been Principal of another Black School in the area-- Holy Ark ( and he hired my Aunt Earnestine) and eventually, before Fess McDavid's death, it stood that Fess Goodson was principal at Holy Ark, he was principal at Autaugaville, my Aunt Earnestine (the oldest of my great grandmother's children) was principal of Friendship--and had been for twenty years, and my grandmother and my Aunt Bertie were teachers under Fess McDavid. When Fess died he handpicked his successor(as principal), however, the white superindentent didn't take long-- not even a year in not giving the prinipalship to the one he picked as his successor(putting in someone who would do his business for him)and then firing my Aunt Bertie and my grandmother. Also, he removed my Aunt Earnestine from her principalship. My Aunt Bertie went to Chicago and my grandmother soon followed.

My grandmother tells the story--has told it many times. There was a house for the principal out on the property of Autaugaville School, and Fess(McDavid) and my Aunt Bertie lived there. My grandmother tells it, that when he died, the white superintendent came out to the house and told my Aunt Bertie "you can stay here in the house if you like, the new principal's gonna stay in prattville. And make sure you bring your sister here to live with you." Now, as my grandmother tells it, this particular superintendent was known to like Black women, and not only that but certain people who I know myself it has been told got their jobs because of that--and also got jobs for their husbands. Anyway, my grandmother said when he told my Aunt Bertie that, she said my aunt starting moving from the house that night.

My Aunt Bertie, my Grandmother, my Aunt Betty, my Aunt Johnnie (who taught me), and my Uncle Archie, all lived in Chicago when I came along. All but Archie taught there ( he taught at one point, but in Ohio. He took up social work in Chicago-- and pulled my mother into that field).My Aunt Earnestine stayed in Alabama. My Uncle Lawrence taught school in Enterprise Alabama for a while (he never taught in Autauga County), but then he started working for the government.And My Aunt Sadie ran two day care centers in Birmingham (where she kept that little bitch, Condoleeza Rice), started Head Start Programs(got my Uncle Lawrence involved in it- which lead to his work with the government), designed clothes, and was a very industrious woman ( as well as having an affair with A.G. Gadsden (who had known my great grandfather when they were teenagers. My mother speaks quite frankly and bitterly about she and her cousin having to go out on the porch when Mr. Gadsden would come over).

All but my Aunt Earnestine were schooled under the tutelage of Fess McDavid (my Aunt Earnestine went to school in Clanton). My Aunt Earnestine had two Master's Degrees and worked on her doctorate, my grandmother has her bachelor's and worked on her Master's,My Aunt Johnnie and my Aunt Betty both have two Master's Degrees-- one a piece in Education and Library Science (they went to school together and helped each other),My Aunt Sadie had her Bachelor's,My Uncle Lawrence had his Bachelor's, and my Uncle Archie had multiple Bachlor's degrees in various fields including Biology and Social Work ( he stayed in school for twenty years and had seven majors and four minors--all degreed). This is my legacy and this is part of where I come from-- teachers and farmers, educators, and social workers.

No comments: