Thursday, June 30, 2005

I just got through watching the new show that Whitney Houston and Bobby Brown put on television. Lord Help us all. A show about your home life and its all staged....but what Black folks do I know thats gonna put all of there business in the street....I only mention it because I think it is interesting to think about Whitney Houston and what it must be like to be her--a woman who grew up in a privileged, middle class background ( I dont know if Cissy Houston was rich or not, but I know she wasn't broke. Plus, having Dionne Warwick as your cousin and growing up knowing Aretha Franklin and other big names in the music industry means you have got some privilege. I look back at the early days of her career--she started off very afro-centric, yes, but she was in many ways a white girl with color---the image that she was given to portray. "Im saving all my love" "how will I know" crossover pop hits that appealed to white audiences. She only had the ONE album where she had an ethnic hairstyle---after that it was processed all the way. Alas, I will talk about this later.

No comments: