Tuesday, January 17, 2006

I remember hearing an anecdote told that there was this white boy whom my great-grandfather hired to do work around his farm--from a very young age--and practically helped raise. From what I was told, he was an orphan. Well, this boy grew up and went off to the War (WWII) and came back grown. Alas, my great-grandfather was in the store one day when he saw the boy after he returned. My great-grandfather apparently greeted him very warmly with "Why hello, Sam. How are you?" Well, this boy says to my great-grandfather, "Isn't it about time you start to call me mister." As the story goes my Great-grandfather gave him a look, there in the middle of the store and walked away. After the boy had left, one of the ladies there in the store, perhaps the wife of the owner tried to chastise my great-grandfather, " Aw, John, you know you could have called him Mr." In reply, my great-grandfather looked at her and said, " I didn't have to call him anything and I didn't" and proceeded to walk away. Something interesting to think about always.

No comments: