Monday, January 02, 2006

I want to write about my Aunt Bertie. My aunt bertie was a pleasant ray of sunshine for me. A beautiful presence who helped to mold that clay which became me. I feel her hands upon me all of the time. My Aunt Bertie was a stout,regally statured woman with the dignified bearing of any manner of nobility. Always suavely dressed, impeccably presented to the world--she carried out the roles she bore. She was the dignified principal's wife, the school teacher,and my aunt. Aunt Bertie made straight A's throughout grade school and college and did her graduate work at Columbia and at Governor's State. Cancer took her much too soon for her dear life to end in 1985. She handled her cancer as she did everything else in her life--with dignity and grace. I remember going in her room and sitting and watching her as she would change her wigs on the days that I would stay at home with her. I remember her retirement tea. When Fess died, he left her quite well put away and she was very comfortable. She died worrying about Freda abusing her money.... Aunt Bertie told me she was going to die and when she did, I believe I was prepared. I didn't cry and I was full of questions. I think she prepared me for dealing with death..and in handling her own taught me a lot. Her face is imprinted on my mind....She is one of my protecting angels.

No comments: