Monday, January 02, 2006

This Post is For

My dear, sweet cousin Kim, who used to whip my behind at Aunt Bertie's house when I wouldn't do my homework right away. Whose soft,milk complexioned face and mild and meekly audible voice so bring delight to my mind and all of my memories. I remember when we lived in Chicago and Kim was going to Whitney Young and was staying with Aunt Bertie and Aunt Johnnie(right across the street from us) and she and Nikki would go in Aunt Johnnie's(Bertie's) basement and practice dance steps in the smaller room down there and I would sit on the other side of the bed and watch. I remember Kim in knee high snow boots and little chic, fashionable sweaters...with her boyfriends tagging along. I remember Kim bringing Christian home to Aunt Bertie's house and he in his baby bed and I made like he was mine all mine.... I remember Kim who would come regularly at different intervals to my grandmother's, with Christian in tow, because it was her obligation to do so and come see her relatives....I remember Kim who blossomed into a mother...who grew from the petite young woman that used to frolic in the snow with my sister to the buxom strong black woman with children in tow, her lion cubs who finally rested at her knee. Boy how time does bring about changes....many tiny little miracles that simply happen before your eyes.

No comments: