Wednesday, March 08, 2006

I Am In Love With Anne Braden

"I have been told that the intensity of my feeling about segregation is neurotic. I have never denied that this may be so. I grew up in a sick society, and a sick society makes neurotics--of one kind or another. It makes people like those who could take pleasure in killing Emmett Till, and it makes people like me. The United States Supreme Court in its historic decision against segreation in the school outlined what segregation does to the Negro child. THe justices might have added some discussion of what it does to the white child. THere are many white "neurotics" like myself in my generation in the South--if that is what we are. The people who describe themselves as "saner" and more "practical" and more "moderate" tell us to wait, not to go too fast. But that is no answer. They may persuade some of us to take a slower course, but they can never convince us all. As long as segregation remains a face in communities all over the South, there will be people like us who are compelled to act."--From The Wall Between.

I have been reading Anne Braden's memoir the past couple of days and I have learned so much, been heartened and enlightened by it. She is an absolutely wonderful spirit. I am glad that I am able to connect with it at some level. Alas, I feel that her comments concerning segregation can most definitely be applied to many things.

No comments: