Monday, March 06, 2006

What Else Can We Expect?

The Supreme Court issued the ruling today that in order for colleges and universities to continue recieving federal funding, they must allow military recruiters on their campuses. This court has moved fundamentally to the right--and I believe it is a definite and clear reflection of this country's mood as a whole.This means that people's rights and freedoms will be trampled on because "the people" will it,not necessarily because of dictatorship or otherwise. I do believe that people are goaded and people are misfed information and lied to, but I do believe that these conservative, right-wing values are at the core of this country's makeup--which is why this country is going straight to hell. You cannot build a country on white supremacy, imperialism, and religious dogma and then expect freedom and respect for all humanity to grow out of it. Nor can you expect it to be anything other than militaristic. That said, there is a legacy of progressive struggle here--and I believe that it will win out. I believe that the progressive elements that exist within this country will rise up and make something new out of what will have fallen apart. I believe it will be something new, something better, and I have hope for it and for the future.

No comments: