Tuesday, April 17, 2007

LifeLine

One night I dreamed I was in slavery, 'bout 1850 was the time
Sorrow was the only sign, there's nothing about to ease my mind
out of the night appeared a lady leading a distant pilgrim band
First mate, she cried point her hand, make room aboard for this young woman


Come on up, I've got a lifeline
Come on up to this train of mine
Come on up, I've got a lifeline
Come on up to this train of mine
They said her name was Harriet Tubman
And she drove for the Underground Railroad


Hundreds of miles, we traveled onward gathering slaves from town to town
Seeking all the lost and found and setting those free that once were bound
Somehow my heart was growing weaker, I fell by the wayside sinking sand
Firmly did this lady stand, she lifted me up and took my hand

No comments: