Monday, October 31, 2005

I have not talked much about my fathers family at all. Alas, I am not that familiar with them. I know my aunts, my uncles, and my cousins, but the larger family, of them I have not much knowledge. I will record what I do know.My father has thirteen brothers and sisters. Twelve from his mother and one outside child. My grandfather's name was Edward Carl and my grandmother's maiden name was Allegra Jones. My grandfather primarily worked for the Irish mafia in Chicago. My grandmother went to Spelman and taught school. Both of their fathers were ministers. I dont know what my grandfather was mixed with, but he was most certainly the whitest Black man I have ever seen. His family was from Mississippi. He looked like James Carville thirty years older.I have not seen his brothers--I believe I saw a picture of one once. Some of them are still alive. I do know that several of them have/had blond hair and blue eyes, including this one that just died. My grandfather was a mess. He used to scare the bejesus out of me and I wouldnt want to go sit near him because he would always be talking about ghosts and seeing his dead wife and dead daughter coming to get him. He also believed in voodoo.

My grandmother's family I know more about because my aunts and other relatives did a history on them. Her immediate family was Jones. Her father was a minister. Her maternal family was the Woodsons. Her Woodson grandfather was also a minister. She had an uncle that was sort of a football legend at the University of Kentucky and a host of other relatives who did different things. The Woodson family is quite old and they founded a few towns in Ohio, Michigan, and Illinois. They seemed to be quite illustrious people of color. I am wondering if they are at all connected to Carter G. Woodson. It would be interesting to see.

No comments: