Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Odd and Interesting

To start with, in the discussion that I had with the students in RS's class, I also brought up the fact that Black women weren't the only group to gain franchise in 1965. Asian Americans, specifically the Chinese, gained suffrage under the Voting Rights Act as well. Alas, I thought of this just now as I was reading Margaret Cho's blog where she points out an editorial in the New York Times commemorating Pat Morita's death, which is entitled "GoodBye Pat Morita, Best Supporting Asian." What irony, what feelings and thoughts are conjured up. I find it also interesting that his first film role was as Asian no. 2 in Thoroughly Modern Millie, starring Carroll Channing. Carol, dear heart, passed for white throughout her entire career up until about two years ago when she announced to the world that her father was a Black man. Oh what tangled webs....

No comments: