Friday, December 02, 2005

I want to detail tonight chronologically as a means of telling the story. Firstly, I went to the LAPC coordinating committee, where we discussed some things that are now on our agenda. There is definitely something left to be desired as to how progressive and progressivlely bold the so-called progressive community is around here. Not that I dont love it, and I dont value them, but it could be better. Then , after that, I went to the Cultural Arts Festival, basically to be described as the semester event --culminating in the spring finale, where the Negroes of Purdue Shuck and jive for the white folks. I love being creative and I love having the venue for expressing myself and my art, in some form, but I REFUSE and I think that it is totally a negative to allow oneself to become caricature and the objectified for white gaze, espcially in a denigrating ay before any audience, and especially a white one that is of the nature of that of Purdue.

The theme for this semester's show was "Fade to Black, Black Images in Hollywood: We Do it To Ourselves." What kind of message is that?? And I am not even making a disavowal of the idea of acknwoledging one's own role in one's own subjugation, but the entire sentiment of this show was to present to its white audience the picture of a non-threatening negro who not only doesn't threaten the established structure, but who also will take responsibility and bear culpability for its own subjugation. This is a horrific statement on the self-esteem, self-pride, and self-valuation of the Negro. We need progress and we need it bad. Alas, to end on a higher note, BVOI director knows she can direct her ass off with a choir, kudos to McKenya, and Kevin Iega Jeff is a gorgeous man. God forbid, I just want a taste.

No comments: