Monday, June 20, 2005

I want to write in depth and very seriously about being Black in a White university and being a person of color/Black person pursuant of advanced degrees in a graduate program that is controlled and predominantly populated by whites, in a white academic setting. I doubt if I will write all that I want to here.....it will probably be an essay that I write-- outside of the blog, but I think it is crucial, critical, indeed pertinent to talk about this. As I have interacted with other Black graduate students, faculty members, and other Blacks-- here at Purdue and elsewhere and talked with them about their experiences, I feel that this is something that needs to be addressed, discussed, and there needs to be some movement and activity surrounding this. Just today, as I was on the trolley, I started talking to this Black girl in the humanities and she was telling me about the difficulties of being in her department. This needs attention, and the enviornment in which Blacks in higher levels of education have to exist need to be improved. There is no reason for anything to stay the same. Otherwise, I believe castration is definitely an alternative.

No comments: